On Jan 15, 2014, at 10:31 PM, Leo Bicknell <bickn...@ufp.org> wrote:

> I am approaching it from a different perspective, 'where is PMTU-D broken for
> people who want to use 1500-9K frames end to end?'

I understand that perspective, absolutely.

But what I'm saying is that that whether or not they want to use jumbo frames
for Internet traffic, it doesn't matter, because PMTU-D is likely to be broken
either at the place where the traffic is initiated, the place where the traffic
is received, or both - so any nonsense in the middle, especially on IXP
networks in particular, isn't really a significant issue in and of itself.

If we could get things optimized and remediated to the point where potential
PMTU-D breakage in IXP networks were a significant issue of iteself, the
Internet would be much improved.  But I don't see any likelihood of that
happening anytime soon.

Roland Dobbins <rdobb...@arbor.net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

          Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

                       -- John Milton