It is in several industry recommendations cf for instance BCP at www.m3aawg.org

> To my knowledge, there are three impacts that IPv6 implementation makes on an
> SMTP implementation. One is that the OS interface to get the address of the
> next MUA or MTA needs to use getaddrinfo() instead of gethostbyname() (and
> would do well to observe RFC 6555’s considerations). Another is that, whether
> on an incoming or an outbound connection, when the application gets its own
> address from the OS (binary or as a character string), it needs to allocate
> more storage for the data structure. The third is that it needs to be able to
> interpret user@2001:db8::1 as well as user@dns-name and user@192.0.2.1.

and user@2001:db8::1.25 with user@192.0.2.1:25. Who had the good idea to use :
for IPv6 addresses while this is the separator for the port in IPv4? A few MTA
are confused by it.

> All things considered, that’s a pretty narrow change set.
>
> Everyone here, no doubt, is clueful enough to implement RDNS for their MTAs.
> We know that there are people in the world that don’t implement it for IPv4.
> Yet, here we are, using SMTP/IPv4 to discuss this, and I don’t hear anyone
> saying that IPv4 isn’t ready for prime time as a result of the fact of some
> operators not implementing RDNS.

There is some confusion between MX selection and address selection, I tried to
document it, and resolve the ambiguities in
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-martin-smtp-target-host-selection-ipv4-IPv6/
 (comments at apps-disc...@ietf.org)

Remember 70 to 90% of email is spam, blacklists can drop as much as 75% of spam
at connection time (an IPv6 blacklist has problems due to size and impact on
DNS). If we mess up the transition of SMTP to IPv6, less than 1 out of 10
emails in your mailbox will be remotely interesting….