On Jun 24, 2014, at 4:37 PM, Chuck Anderson <c...@wpi.edu> wrote:

> Cheap DIY SFP programmer using a Raspberry Pi:
>
> http://eoinpk.blogspot.com/2014/05/raspberry-pi-and-programming-eeproms-on.html
>
> Software:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/sfppi/
>
> Now we just need some code to brute-force the OEM passwords...  How
> fast is the 2-wire bus on SFPs?

This seems like overkill.  I have been asking my vendors for the ability to
deal with the SFF-MSA data properly and to not break their own optics in their
own devices.  (Yes, I've seen this).

I prefer my XFP/CFP/SFP/SFP+ ports unlocked properly from the factory and the
ability to display all the SFF-MSA fields.  So far everyone is making high
quality CFP parts so I've not seen anything "odd" there aside from some vendors
don't realize that 100G-LR4 should display all 4 lanes light levels.

If you are buying cheap SFPs you get what you pay for.  We have had good luck
with Finisar and Finisar OEM, which are available broadly in the market for a
fair price.  The best way to discourage the locking is to stop buying the
optics from those that do engage in the locking activities.

It would also be helpful to list those optics that are poor in quality as well.
 This also may provide an incentive to those in the marketplace to improve
them.  (eg: I have no problem with a vendor blocking the same S/N from
appearing multiple times in a chassis from a "cloned" optic, but if they are
putting that effort into the driver, they also need to support their own optics
in the chassis as well).

If nobody is aware of a SFP/XFP/CFP/whatnot database out there, perhaps we can
crowdsource one as a community?  This seems to be something that may provide
value.

- jared