In common ISP language, peering is a connection between equals that is mutually
beneficial so no money usually changes hands, peering connections are usually
AS to AS without the ability to transit through to other AS (or at least some
kind of policy that prevents you from using your peer for full transit.

Transit is paid for bandwidth that "transits" through an AS to the Internet at
large.  I can use a paid for transit link to get to the entire Internet
(hopefully).

I agree that it appears that Netflix should be mostly an access or transit
customer rather than a peering partner, however since high bandwidth to Netflix
will make the ISPs customers happy, it is probably beneficial to come to some
kind of agreement that helps you get the dedicated Netflix connection running.
This is kind of the arrangement that exists with Akamai, where it is a mutually
beneficial arrangement.  I host their server which makes my customer happy,
make Akamai's customer happy, and helps lower my costs by allowing me to
minimize transit traffic.  I don’t see why Netflix would be treated any
different.  If carriers don’t like the way Netflix servers work, then don’t put
them in your network and deal with the bandwidth issues.  It is a technical
tradeoff whichever way you decide to go.

Transit is paid for bandwidth that "transits" through an AS to the Internet at
large.  I have the right to send anything to anywhere on a transit circuit from
say Comcast.  Over a peering circuit, I should only be sending traffic bound
for a Comcast customer or downstream provider.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL