On Jul 28, 2014, at 12:36 PM, Bill Woodcock <wo...@pch.net> wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2014, at 9:28 AM, William Herrin <b...@herrin.us> wrote:
>> The data set suffers three flaws:
>
> Depending on your point of view, a lot more than three, undoubtedly.
>
>> 1. It is not representative of the actual traffic flows on the Internet.
>
> There are an infinite number of things it’s not representative of, but it
> also doesn’t claim to be representative of them.  Traffic flows on the
> Internet is a different survey of a different thing, but if someone can
> figure out how to do it well, I would be very supportive of their effort.
> It's a _much_ more difficult survey to do, since it requires getting people
> to pony up their unanonymized netflow data, which they’re a lot less likely
> to do, en masse, than their peering data.  We’ve been trying to figure out a
> way to do it on a large and representative enough scale to matter for twenty
> years, without too much headway.  The larger the Internet gets, the more
> difficult it is to survey well, so the problem gets harder with time, rather
> than easier.

This most likely won’t happen unless it becomes some sort of an international
treaty obligation and even then it would end up in courts for a long time.
Leaving aside data privacy requirements many carriers have, most companies
guard their traffic information rather zealously for some reason.

-dorian