On Aug 10, 2014, at 2:05 PM, Bill Woodcock <wo...@pch.net> wrote:
>> It would be nice if allocations would be revoked due to invalid/fake contact
>> info.
>
> That’s been debated many times, in most of the RIRs, and has not resulted in
> any persistent policies that I remember offhand.  The tide may turn, as it
> were, if problems get sufficiently bad, at which point these sorts of
> policies might receive sufficient support to be passed, and stick.

Which, of course, would not actually cause address space to be magically
returned to the RIR. The RIRs are not the Internet Police and attempting to use
the Whois database as a stick to beat “bad” ISPs will simply result in the
Whois database becoming less and less relevant.

What might work would be for the RIRs to annotate registration data records
with stuff like "valid/invalid contact information” (accessible
programmatically via RDAP) and allow ISPs to build filters based on that
annotation.

But yes, this has been debated many times and nothing ever seems to get done.

Regards,
-drc