From: Stephen Satchell [l...@satchell.net]
To: nanog@nanog.org [nanog@nanog.org]
Subject: Re: Hardware monitoring

Even cheaper, but a little more DYI, you can look into building a small
Linux box, load MRTG (which you should be running anyway), and crafting
small probe scripts that would feed the "traffic" grapher.  For switch
closures like on water-sensors, you will need an I/O board, but they are
readily available and pretty easy to script.

For temperature/voltage alarms, those same scripts can send alarm e-mail
when particular values fall outside of the range.  Ditto switch sensing.

Also, there are SNMP-based solutions you may not have thought of.  Have
Cisco routers?  The environmental sensors are available via SNMP.