> On Jun 18, 2015, at 10:19 PM, James Hartig <fastest...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just curious, how does DNS load balancing work if people are using
> 8.8.8.8/208.67.222.222 or basically any public resolvers that cache and
> have a significant (relatively speaking) user-base? Is the actual percent
> of requests so small that it doesn't matter?

The percent of requests is significant, but OpenDNS and Google and the other
significant open resolvers are, themselves, anycast, so the geographic
correlation is preserved.  Also, there’s an RFC for passing an origin IP tag
along to the authoritative server, but I don’t know if anyone’s actually doing
anything with that on any global inter-provider scale.

                                -Bill