On Jul 9, 2015, at 9:53 AM, Jared Mauch <ja...@puck.nether.net> wrote:

> It’s my understanding that many captive portals have trouble with IPv6
> traffic and this is a blocker for places.
>
> I’m wondering what people who deploy captive portals are doing with these
> things?
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-dhc-capport
>
> seems to be trying to document the method to signal to clients how to
> authenticate.  I was having horrible luck with Boingo yesterday at RDU
> airport with their captive portal and deauthenticating me so just went to
> cellular data, so wondering if IPv4 doesn’t work well what works for IPv6.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Jared

  We use the HotSpot feature on a Mikrotik box as a captive portal.  It does
not re-direct IPv6 web traffic but it does redirect all IPv4 DNS traffic to a
DNS resolver that only answers with A records.  Once a device has been
authenticated IPv4 DNS traffic goes to a DNS server that will answer with AAAA
records also.

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.cur...@ndsu.edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University