I do not follow the logic.

If a CDN says they have a gigantic peering node in DC, how does that tell you
where they put on-net servers?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to put servers on-net in OKC or SLC because they do
_NOT_ have large peering nodes there? Locality is important. Akamai has
thousands of nodes in a hundred or so countries. While they have a lot of
peering, I have trouble thinking their nodes are all next to large IXPs. (OK, I
know they are not, but let’s not get into that.) Plus this seems very US/EU
centric. What about places without a lot large IXPs, like South America,
Africa, South-East Asia, etc.?

Finally, your logic seems a bit self-contradictory: “They won’t tell you where
their big network nodes are. But if you look in this free, public database, you
can find their big network nodes."

--
TTFN,
patrick