Fortunately the two groups came together in the IEEE, and there are no
competing standards.

IEEE P802.3bz 2.5/5GBASE-T Task Force stared in March 2015:
- 2.5GBASE-T: 4 x 625 Mb/s over 100 m Cat 5e (Class D) or Cat 6 (Class E)
unshielded twisted-pair copper cabling
- 5GBASE-T: 4 x 1.250 Gb/s over 100 m Cat 5e (Class D) or Cat 6 (Class E)
unshielded twisted-pair copper cabling
- MultiGBASE-T auto-negotiation between 2.5GBASE-T, 5GBASE-T, 10GBASE-T,
25GBASE-T, 40GBASE-T
- Automatic MDI/MDI-X configuration
- PoE support including IEEE 802.3bt amendment (power over 4 pairs)
- Optional Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) support
- Standard expected in September 2016
- Interfaces expected on the market in 2016
- Task Force web page http://www.ieee802.org/3/bz/

You might have seen my Ethernet speeds presentation... the most recent
one is here:
http://ix.br/pttforum/9/slides/ixbr9-ethernet.pdf (December 2015)

It's slightly out of date as the IEEE Interim was just last week.

Greg

--
Greg Hankins <ghank...@mindspring.com>