A similar GRE attack was used against the Olympics:

"Once the Olympics got under way, LizardStresser along with a few other botnets
ramped up their attack against organizations affiliated with the Olympics. The
DDoS campaign launched attack traffic using the lesser-known IP protocol
Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE).”

 -mel

On Sep 23, 2016, at 2:39 PM, Hugo Slabbert