Two reasons :

1.      Legacy configuration portability, people learned a certain way and all
versions of code understand a certain way.  The best way to correct that issue
it to accept either of them.

2.      The inverse mask is indeed a pain in the neck but is technically
correct.  The subnet mask is used where the equipment cares to work with the
network portion of the address (ignoring the host).  The inverse mask is
important where the equipment cares more about the host we are referring to
(ignoring the network).  It’s a bit of a cheat to allow for code used in
routing to be used for ACL and firewall without modification to the code.  For
example, the same code piece that routes a network toward an Ethernet interface
can be reused to route a host toward a null interface.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL