Hey,

> firmware which only runs on certain expensive devices.  My point is
> that e.g. FRR is an open source software which is designed to run on
> the same Intel-based systems as the one which probably powers your
> laptop.

Most vendors have virtual image for your laptop, all of the modern
routers run Linux and some vendor binary blob, with exception of Nokia
running their own bootingOS (forked off of vxworks ages ago). Finding
control-plane bugs, like BGP UPDATE crash is cheap for hobbyist, you
can download the images off the Internet and run on your laptop.

Finding forwarding issues indeed is harder due to the limited access
to devices, so bit of security through obscurity I guess.

--
  ++ytti