And you won't really have a choice because unless you're willing to go
full Ted Kaczynski one in a hundred of those emails will be very, very
important to you ...

Yeah. E-mail remains the only scheme where the two parties don't have to be introduced first, don't have to be online at the same time, and you can check for it in one place (if you want to, or you can sort and file to your heart's content.)

I've stopped being surprised that enthusiasts who tell me that the IM or online conferencing silver bullet du jour will kill e-mail never understand this.

R's,
John