What I have done in the past is have an xml config file for the
application that's not related to app.config.  This would contain all of
the machine specific settings we've been talking about.  This would
default to some file in the same directory as the executable, say
nant.config.xml or some such name.  Then have a command line param to
nant to specify an alternate config file.  This would let you test
against 2 different cl.exe's, for example.

I like the idea of having task attributes that are automatically set via
attributes, as well as non-task specific attributes.

I'd be willing to work on this if the consensus is that it makes sense.

Eric.