>of course, for larger buildfiles this  would imply a
>fairly heavy runtime memory cost

We could mitigate the cost by making the ID optional.
That is, if they don't set an ID on an element, don't
add it to the collection.

>I admit I have no clue as to what Ant does in this
> context, though....

Ant's project class maintains a hashtable that is used
to store references (simple name to object mapping).
Only fileset-y type things are referenceable, I think
(FileSets, DirSets, FileLists, etc).