On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Ian MacLean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Stefan, do you recall the reasons for enforcing read-only on
> properties in Ant ?

Do you want the full story? 8-)

The short version: it happend to be that way in Ant 1.1 by accident
and we sticked to it because the majority of people found good reasons
why it is better that way.  We added features to Ant that made most
use cases for mutable properties go away.

I'm not really convinced that property immutability (as we call it in
Ant land) really is the best way to do it myself - just see what kind
of hack I had to introduce in 1.5 to make it work correctly with
<ant>, inheritall and nested properties.

One of the most cited reasons is that you don't have to hunt down all
build files involved just to see what value a property might get at
one point - but then again, this means I don't have to look at my
down-stream build files but my get hit by build-files calling mine.

The reason I can follow best is that you need a policy that is simple
to understand.  "Properties are always mutable" and "properties are
never mutable" are the two policies easiest to explain - and the
"always mutable" policy immediately needs exception rules for
properties defined on the command line.  So we've picked the easiest
to explain, comprehend and memorize rule.

Stefan