I'm not very keen on mixing stuff into the foreach that leads to ambiguity.

I'm not sure what the correct solutions is, maybe something like this:
<foreach property="foo" type="File">
    <in>
        <fileset ... />
    <in>
    <do>
        <!-- stuff -->
    </do>
</foreach>

So you can either use "in" as an attribute or element. And if you use the
element form you must use a <do>.

How does that sound?

So the two valid forms would be:
1.) (how things work now)