Hi Ian:

Here's a scenario:

1. You have a product that has a cascading set of sub-projects.
2. Some of these sub-projects are company wide class libraries used in
   more than one product line.
3. You have a product master.build file that will build the product.
4. Your master.build file calls into each sub-projects' build file
   to build the utilized class libraries.
5. Each sub-project conforms to a set of rules that says
   a. add your output assembly to fileset g-ass-dll-fs
   b. add your output xml doc  to fileset g-ass-doc-fs
6. The product build file includes a generic company defined
   doc.build file that defines a sdk-doc target.
7. doc.build::sdk-doc target uses g-ass-dll-fs and
   g-ass-doc-fs to generate ndoc documentation.

Benefits:
1. encapsulation of build/output knowledge to the sub-projects.
2. decreased maintenance of master.build file due to benefit #1.

Assumptions:
1. filesets can be inherited by sub-projects.
2. filesets can be passed back up the call stack to master.build

Other supporting scenarios:
1. reference trees in <csc/> calls
2. release structure target copies

hth,