Ok, I think I get it now :-). Basically, you want a fxcop task that can
be used as follows:

<fxcop report="myreport.fxcop"/>

Which only checks the assemblies defined in the project file against the
rules defined in the project file.

<fxcop report="myreport.fxcop">
        <targets basedir="bin">
                <includes name="**/*.dll" />
        </targets>
</fxcop>

Which checks the assemblies in the targets fileset against the rules
defined in the project file.

<fxcop report="myreport.fxcop">
        <targets basedir="bin">
                <includes name="**/*.dll" />
        </targets>
        <rules basedir="c:\MyRulesDir">
                <includes name="**/*.dll" />
        </rules>
</fxcop>

Which checks the assemblies in the targets fileset against the rules
defined in the project file, in addition to the ones specified in the
project file.

So the task should work like this: read the .fxcop project file, changes
the <targets> block if a targets fileset was specified, adds custom
rules to  the <rulefiles> block if specified, writes this to a temporary
file somewhere, and runs fxcopcmd over it.

Right?

Arjen