We "solved" this problem by creating a tool to update the .user files for each developer. It scans the directory tree and then creates a .user file for each .proj file with the correct reference path for that workstation.

brant

From: "Martin Aliger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Matthew Mastracci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: "! nant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [nant-dev] last suggestion - Solution task again
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:52:59 +0200

> I'd recommend against comparing only filenames.  This will likely end up
> causing trouble down the line.  VS.NET is certainly a mess when it comes
> to hint paths, but I've found that they are generally accurate.  I don't
> even think it uses them half of the time.  :)
>
> Can you describe your situation with more detail (perhaps some examples)
> so I can see what is happening?.

Sure. This is case, when more developers make some projects and upload them
into build server. Than it should compile all that projects from several
developers. Of course, every developer have another path in their .csproj
files and that do not exists on server.

Similar think could happen when you copy project around machines or even
move to another disk. I think this is important to solve maybe with help of
some attributes. There must be some way from this mess :-)

Thanks!
Martin

> >Last one - and I'm not sure there.
> >
> >There are problems with references between projects when projects have
different output paths. Project references are ok, but external refenreces
sometimes brokes. Currently nant compares files as full pathnames using path
from HintPath attribute. I suggest to compare filenames as names only
without path. Could this be a problem? It works for me, but... Btw: Visual
studio is real mess in this. Hope nant could be better! :)