Philip,
the Nant project class and others are not designed to be DOM like. Many elements are only created just before execution and then thrown away. This is to ensure that when a task or build element is initialized it has the correct ( up to date values).

I can appreciate that having a DOM like project object would help with your app but that is not the purpose of the current NAnt Project class.

Ian

I am redoing my nant explorer app I talked about last spring and have a few
questions about what I should expect the Project class to give me vs what is
done by accessing the xml document from the project files and nant.settings
file.  Here are a few examples:

- global properties - not the nant.property globals, but properties defined
with property tags at the project level.  I want to be able to display these
and optionally allow changing values, including saving these changes outside of
the build file itself.  (think of it as being able to save the command line
options of a command line build with the console driver)

- override directories - basedir is the obvious one, others possible
- change, save the nant-framework settings
- debug logging settings

my goal here is to be able to save an xml file, preferably in normal nant task
syntax, that could capture everything possible from the command line, in
addition to being able to launch any target from a list of build files as I had
done in the NAnt explorer I did earlier.  So, the gui would allow the
selection, configuration and task execution of multiple build files, saving the
options in new xml file made up primarily of nant task xml nodes.  In theory,
one of theses gui created files could be used from the command line. Very few
of these properties are accessible via the Project class now, and I wonder if
it makes sense to add these to the project class, or to plan on working with
the xml directly and building the call in the style of the console driver
class.  I am going to start with the later assumption, but I'm interested in
hearing what the Project class really encapsulates from everyone else's point
of view.

I've also been making the application look more like a standard windows app and
will explore docking windows for things like the build log, debug log,
properties windows and the like. I've also refactored into a model-controller
and view style that *might* make it possible to have a web interface to the
same files without too much difficulty.  I have a long ways to go though and
have cut way back on open source time in favor of long bike rides in bad
colorful clothing ;-)

tia