Hi Scott,

We wouldn't need to modify the existing code base much other than
decorating tasks (and sometimes their properties/attributes with
attributes. The idea behind the design time attributes is not to create
a tool inside the NAnt distribution itself, but rather support the
development editors like NAntpad. Kinda like the way the component
designer features in the .NET framework work in VS.NET and WebMatrix.

The design time tool would reflect over the task class libraries looking
for classes decorated with the designer attribute. When a task is
selected from a build file the type pointed to by the designer attribute
is created and a method is invoked which returns a UI object which can
be used to build the XML node. This creation method would have some
contextual information passed to it like which OS/UI toolkit it needs to
support.

If the designer doesn't support that environment then the tool (e.g.
NAntpad would gracefully downgrade to its basic capabilities.

- Mitch Denny
- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- http://www.monash.net
- +61 (414) 610141