Tharen ,
TLBImp, TLBExp already use the current framework to find their locations - post 0.8.3 anyway - you should try out a nightly build.
VisualCpp tasks are a different matter however.
Tasks that wrap .net framework executables are currently located using the information in the config file and thru the use of the ProgramLocation attribute as follows:

[TaskName("tlbexp")]
[ProgramLocation(LocationType.FrameworkSdkDir)]
public class TlbExpTask : ExternalProgramBase {

I'm not sure how we'd go about extending that mechanism to accomodate cl.exe and friends. One option would be to have a visualCPPtoolsdir property that can be set in the config file or updated by setting a property in the buildfile.

Ian

There are currently several tasks that require their “program” to be on the current path; is this the behavior that everyone uses/expects?

I’m referring to things like TLBImp, TLBExp, cl, Lib, Link, etc.

In our environment we have to change between compilers and such rather frequently, and so we prefer to not have these on our paths, but instead be in the build system (currently make) via properties/variables.

I’d like to do something to correct most of these NANT tasks; I have a few ideas, but I’m checking around for others.

To complicate life, some programs (notably CL) need more than one directory on the path; however they are related and might be able to be inferred if given a base path. We might also want to use a base path (if supplied) to set the default value for include/lib directories in this scenario.

Ideally, there should be a way to default this for the current machine so that it did not have to be set for each compile. I’d sure love to be able to build NANT and run the VisualCpp tests without having to muck with my environment each time…

Tharen

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: The SF.net Donation Program. Do you like what SourceForge.net is doing for the Open Source Community? Make a contribution, and help us add new features and functionality. Click here: http://sourceforge.net/donate/ _______________________________________________ nant-developers mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/nant-developers