--- Scott Hernandez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The projecthelp uses xsl templates to transform the source document (build
> file) without doing any includes  (or actually running any tasks; like
> <property/>). This makes it pretty useless in many cases.
>
> At this point I think we need to re-write the projecthelp stuff to load the
> document, run (the <include/> tasks only?) global tasks, and then provide
> help about the build file.

I've already done this for my command line replacement gui, except for the
include target descriptions.  What I have observed is that the need for the
xslt is removed, as you are generally interested in a list of targets, and then
of those, the descriptions of just some of them.  Quite often on larger builds
with lots of targets, you may be interested in only those targets with
descriptions, or targets that don't start with an "_", or some other way of
filtering the list.  In a point and click gui, this is a much easier way to
explore the build file than trying to read a full formatted document.

The expansion of properties is a good question.  In my properties grid, I show
the unexpanded value, and I *think* this is what people would want.  If a
property is in the description, I think the opposite may be true. From the
execution point of view you may want to see all expanded values, but if the gui
is hosting an editor, you may want to leave the expansion off.

I think the best answer is to expose some non instance code that takes a string
with property "templates", and the property collection and returns the string
with the templates expanded.