> I think this is sufficient in 99.9% scenarios so if we don't find merge be
> useful we could always implement this [I have it in some state already]
> Should such implementation include even excludes from referenced fileset?

I suggest the following evaluation semantics:

<fileset>
        <includes name="xxx.*" />
        <includes>
            <fileset>
                <includes name="yyy.*" />
            </fileset>
        </includes>
        <excludes>
            <fileset>
                <includes name="*.*" />
                <excludes name="AAA" />
            </fileset>
        </excludes>
</fileset>

Means:

1. find all files matching "xxx.*" and convert them to the set of filenames
(L1)
2. find all files matching "yyy.*" and convert them to the set of filenames
(L2)
3. find all files matching "*.*" and convert them to the set of filenames
(L3)
4. find all files matching "AAA.*" and convert them to the set of filenames
(L4)

the resulting fileset is (in terms of the set algebra, + means union, -
means difference)

L1 + L2 - (L3 - L4)

so (because we're excluding almost every file but AAA.*) this means the same
as:

<fileset>
    <includes name="AAA.*" />
</fileset>

I propose a rule, which I think is quite intuitive:

----
Every time you <include> or <exclude> a fileset, resolve it to a set of
files and proceed with include/exclude as if it was specified as a series of
<include name="..." /> or <exclude name="..." />
----

Awaiting comments.

Jarek