NDoc, but it's going to have to wait a bit longer since NAnt isn't doing
what the NDoc developers thought it was doing: wrapping the > command line
utility.

We might indeed want to reconsider this.  Scott, can you tell me why "we"
chose this path ?

Should we still include NDoc binaries in the distribution package if we
decide to implement this as a wrapper task. I guess I would advise against.
But in order to build the NAnt documenter we need to be able to reference
the NDoc.Core assembly.  Should we add support for referencing assemblies
with a strong name using a fileset (meaning add a <assembly> child element
for fileset) or add a AssemblyFileSet type which also supports an <assembly>
child element ?

> Since NAnt has apparently compiled against the 1.2 version of NDoc and is
using the library rather than wrapping the command line tool, the upgrade
path is more problematic than
> installing a new version of NDoc or a simple binary replacement.

NAnt actually includes a documenter for generating the task/type/function
docs, so we do rely on a specific version of NDoc for this purpose.  But
you're right that it would've been better to just wrap the NDoc commandline
client.

> I understand the trade-off that was made in favor of ease of deployment
and tighter coupling for performance; without an installer, it's hard to
tell the user at install-time that the NDoc task won't work unless NDoc is
installed.  I just happen to think it was a mistake.  ;)  I wondered why the
NDoc task only supported the MSDN documenter and not any of the others...

We support all documenters, but we only include the MSDN documenter in the
NAnt distribution (as we use it to generate the task/type/function docs).
You can just copy other documenters of the NDoc 1.2 distribution package to
the NAnt bin directory.

> I'm going to see if I can get an <exec/> together in the next couple days
which will use the NDoc 1.3-beta instead of using the NDoc task to work
around the problem for testing purposes, but I thought y'all should know.

We might upgrade NAnt cvs to use the NDoc 1.3 beta, but we still need to
discuss this.