----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Mastracci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Nant-Developers (E-mail)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 1:52 AM
Subject: [nant-dev] NAnt pedantic mode

> I've run into a number of build-script bugs today that are related to
> NAnt task properties changing/disappearing/obsoleting/etc.
>
> What does everyone think of a command-line flag to put NAnt into
> pedantic mode?  This would throw an error if any build task tried to use
> a property that didn't exist or was obsoleted.

You mean an attribute that didn't exist ?  Properties that don't exist cause
a build error already ...

But I agree that we should indeed have this mode (or just always run NAnt in
this mode, what do you propose) ...

In what cases should NAnt throw a build error :

- a system property that no longer exist
- an attribute/child element that is deprecated, and the IsError property of
the ObsoleteAttribute is set to true
- a task/type that is deprecated, and the IsError property of the
ObsoleteAttribute is set to true
- an attribute/child element that does not (or no longer) exist

in what cases should NAnt output a warning (deprecated message) in the build
log :

- a system property that has been replaced/renamed (eg. replaced by a
function), but the original property still exists.
- an attribute/child element that is deprecated, and the IsError property of
the ObsoleteAttribute is set to false
- a task/type that is deprecated, and the IsError property of the
ObsoleteAttribute is set to false

Please correct me wherever necessary and add items to these lists ....