I don't know exactly what you're trying to achieve with Gump, but IMO things
are much easier than you think if you fully utilize NAnt's potential.

Nant is quite a portable beast today. It can run on 4 platforms (mono-1.0,
net-1.0, net-1.1, net-2.0) and compile for some more (netcf-1.0 and sscli).
The platform of your choice influences all .NET tasks and involves
platform-specific lookup and commandline parameter pasing. Many things have
been done to assure platform independence so that you can run target
multiple platforms with little to no change in your build scripts. NAnt
provides all the logic to detect the presence and location of
platform-specific assemblies and to pass them as arguments to appropriate
commandline compilers.

On windows it's possible to target all the platforms (including mono for
windows).
On Linux it's only possible to target mono-1.0.

To compile for a particular platform you simply run

nant.exe -targetframework:net-1.0 buildfile.build
nant.exe -targetframework:net-1.1 buildfile.build
nant.exe -targetframework:net-2.0 buildfile.build
nant.exe -targetframework:mono-1.0 buildfile.build
nant.exe -targetframework:netcf-1.0 buildfile.build

If you don't provide the target platform it's assumed that you want to
target the current platform you're running on (.NET 1.1 in most cases, but
can be .NET 2.0 or .NET 1.0).

Nant can be run from any directory, there's no need to invoke it in the
build file directory.
The sequence used to download, compile and install nant from CVS is very
simple:

cvs checkout nant
nant\bin\NAnt.exe install -f:nant\NAnt.build -D:install.prefix=targetprefix

I believe that all steps necessary to fully bootstrap nant from source
(including external dependencies) can be easily put in a single build file
that would be invoked by just-bootstrapped nant itself.

The build would be very simple and would just consist of <cvs-checkout>,
<nant> and <copy> tasks.

Or perhaps I am missing something... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jarek

BTW. You may contact me on ICQ #298783166 or somewhere on IRC