https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=402868&aid=1053822&group_id=31650

Category: Core
Group: 0.85

Initial Comment:
Here is the long and short of it:

In summary, we have a huge solution with 15 or so
projects.  We are developing an application for the
State, so the naming conventions and directory
hierarchy are predetermined by them.  With the project
and dll names we have, plus the directory structure we
have to follow, we end up with dll’s and resource files
that have very, very long paths associated with them.

When I try to run a solution task on our sln, I get back a
PathTooLongException, tracing back up from what
appears to be NAnt attempting to correctly resolve the
external project/dll references.

Visual Studio can build it so I know it is possible.

A sample dll is: C:\CCMIS.NET\D-
Development\CCMIS_System\webCCMIS_Solution\webCC
MIS.CaseManagement.Business\PA.DPW.CCMIS.CaseMana
gement.BusinessWorkflowComponents\bin\PA.DPW.CCMIS
.CaseManagement.BusinessWorkflowComponents.dll

Wow – that’s long.  Even for me.  But we can’t change
the project layout, so hopefully we can fix this project in
NAnt.

I have attached our build file, the solution file, a sample
project file and NAnt’s output.

It is important to note some versions:
        My code is targeting v1.2 of the Frameworks.
        My output is from NAnt compiled with v2.0 of
the Frameworks.
        The same exception is produced when running
NAnt for v1.2 of the Frameworks.

Thank you again for your help!

-Kurt

nant output in brief (see zip for full output):

System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path,
file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file
name must be less than 260 characters, and the
directory name must be less than 248 characters.

   at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean
fullCheck)

   at System.IO.Path.GetFullPathInternal(String path)

   at System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(String path)

   at NAnt.VSNet.Reference.ResolveFromRelativePath
(XmlElement referenceElement,

String relativePath) in c:\Program
Files\NAnt\src\NAnt.VSNet\Reference.cs:line 6

48

   at NAnt.VSNet.Reference.ResolveAssemblyReference
(XmlElement referenceElement)

 in c:\Program
Files\NAnt\src\NAnt.VSNet\Reference.cs:line 579