I'm not sure how you would design separate tasks or functions that don't
subsume the current xmlpeek (and for that matter, xmlpoke) behaviors, in
which case xmlpeek becomes unnecessary.  I certainly believe that the basic
mechanism for accessing an xml element should be the more or less the same
regardless of whether or not the element is required, or whether or not it
is allowed to be repeated.

But perhaps you have something in mind that I just haven't considered.

Gary