Daniel Hahn wrote:

Hello again,

I'd like to create ndoc documentation for our project, but at the moment I
cannot change the solution/project files as to create the neccessary XML.
Therefore I'd like to ask if there are any plans to support overriding project
settings in <solution> builds. (So that I can create the doc XML whith the ant
build, without touching the solution files). Of course I'd be also interested in
a simple workaround, if there is one ;-)

If there are no plans for this, what would be the neccessary steps in
implementing it?

Bye,
           Daniel

Hi,

There is always the risk of turning the solution task into the general swiss army nife. The XML doc gen
is actually triggered by configurations in your project files, not the solution file. This means that there is
the potential that you would have to build a lot of code and options to support excluding/including sets
of projects from XML doc gen and I'm not sure that would be a good idea.
A variant of this is to create a new configuration to your projects and set it up correctly for generating
XML docs for those projects that needs it.
My personal experience with this (and that of my entire project in fact) is that XML docs should be
generated in the normal target used for developers (here Debug) since otherwise the XML docs aren't
properly maintained and thus the entire idea of generating usefull docs fails. Devs really need to see the
warnings both when they work but also on the build server to make it very clear to everyone that the docs
aren't up-to-date (or are).

/Nicke