Greco Giuseppe wrote:

How about somthing like 'NA1001' for errors and warnings.

<!--Build Error Strings -->
<data name="NA1001">
<value>Could not find a '{0}' file in '{1}'</value>
<comment>Some descriptive comment</comment>
</data>

What about this? Could be a valid alternative?

Error messages:

 <data name="Error_FileNotFound">
   <value>Could not find a '{0}' file in '{1}'</value>
   <comment>Some descriptive comment</comment>
 </data>

   or

 <data name="E1001_FileNotFound">
   <value>Could not find a '{0}' file in '{1}'</value>
   <comment>Some descriptive comment</comment>
 </data>

Warning messages:

 <data name="Warning_Message">
   <value>Message text.</value>
   <comment>Some descriptive comment</comment>
 </data>

   or

 <data name="W1001_Message">
   <value>Message text.</value>
   <comment>Some descriptive comment</comment>
 </data>

Informational messages:

 <data name="Info_Message">
   <value>Message text.</value>
   <comment>Some descriptive comment</comment>
 </data>

   or

 <data name="I1001_Message">
   <value>Message text.</value>
   <comment>Some descriptive comment</comment>
 </data>

Hmm - well I'd like the keep the number in there - for errors/warnings at least. It will make finding the use of a given error message easier later on.

2. Decide who does what

Why don't we pick a couple of assemblies each and work through them ?

Ok, just let me know what assemblies you are working on. I'll start with a small one: NAnt.DotNet.

Cool - I'll start with NAnt.Core which is not so small but has most of the core error messages I'm looking at collating.

Ian