Title: compiling .resx files is slow (patch included)
Hi Erv,

A similar patch has now been committed to cvs.

Gert

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Erv Walter
Sent: dinsdag 5 oktober 2004 20:54
To: Nant-Developers (E-Mail)
Subject: [nant-dev] compiling .resx files is slow (patch included)

The automatic compilation of .resx resource files by the <csc/> task is quite slow.   We have several assemblies with many .resx files (40+ resx files) that get included as resources.  It was taking 2-3 seconds per .resx file when compiling the assembly (you could see the output pause for 2-3 seconds as each was compiled into its .resource file).

I did a quick experiment with directly compiling the .resx files into .resource files using the <resgen/> task and the exact same fileset of 40+ files was compiled almost instantly!  When I started looking at how the <csc/> task was different, I noticed that it used a separate ResGenTask for each resx file in the resources fileset.  We changed the CompilerBase class to use just one ResGetTask object to compile the full list of resources (analogous to how the <resgen> task itself does it).  That change made a huge difference.  The attached patch contains the change.  With this change, our assembly that was taking 90+ seconds to compile now compiles in about 4 seconds.

<<FasterResourceCompiling.patch>>

Regards,

Erv