On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:23 AM, Charles Chan
<cchan...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hello fellow developers,
>
> I am the newest addition to the NAnt developers team, let me provide a brief
> self introduction.
>
> Current Experience
> ==============
> I am a senior software engineer & mobile team lead at my
> current employment. Mostly I use C/C++/Java code at work, but our compilation
> & release are handled by a combination of shell/NAnt/ant build
> scripts. Additional, we use Hudson for CI.
>
> Previous Experience
> ===============
> In addition, I have worked on server-side development in the past, using
> J2EE, XML, HTML,
> JavaScript, CSS, AJAX, SQL. I also have experience with C#.NET developing
> desktop applications. In addition, I am familiar with various databases such
> as Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, etc
>
> Open Source Experience
> ==================
> I have participated in other open
> source projects such as GoogleTest, Hudson, jTDS as well.
>
> Objective for joining NAnt
> ==================
> 1) A short 0.8x or 0.9x beta/rc release, follow by a stable 1.0 release --
> This is to ensure all the patches from the last few years are
> re-incorporated back into a common tree. It's double maintainence for
> company to have to keep a patched copy of NAnt locally in their SCM
> system. Besides, every contribution helps improve the general user community.

That's good news. Very good news. I hope it's not too late for NAnt to
pick up pace again.

> 2) Add/Remove platform / solution support to keep up with current
> technologies.
>
> 2) Compare the changes that has been requested / or
> added in other builds systems -- Evaluate what makes sense to add in a next
> release.
>
> What's been done
> =============
> The first order of business for me was to find and setup a stable server for
> generating CI builds and releases. Thanks to the folks at
> TeamCity.CodeBetter.com, I was able to register an account for NAnt project
> there.
> Take a look at http://teamcity.codebetter.com/project.html?projectId=project69
>
> Help requests
> ==========
> I am ready to generate a new NAnt release (eg. 0.87-rc1), and requires some
> assistance. If any of you can provide some information, it would be much
> appreciated.
>
> 1) What is the proper way to make a release? -- On the CI server, I am
> current using VS.NET with NAnt.sln. But where are the artifacts?
>
> 2) On the NAnt homepage, I see the software is described compatible with .NET
> 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.5; Mono 1.0/2.0/3.5, etc... How does NAnt project
> produce one library and make sure it's compatible with all of the above
> platforms? Do you compile with the lowest common denominator (.NET 1.0)? How
> do you ensure a library works with both .NET and Mono -- simply by
> assuming the CLR is consistently implemented on all platforms? Do you have to
> compile on both Windows and Linux platforms?

Basically, each time NAnt stopped working on Mono, someone would
using CI - can you get a Linux box setup up with a TeamCity build
agent? A dream setup would test Mono support on 3 versions - latest
stable (2.6.1 currently), latest in Ubuntu (2.4.2.3 currently, other
distributions don't lag so much behind) and svn head (which will fail
from time to time, but allows reporting Mono regressions back to
mono-dev team fast). This doesn't require 3 separate boxes, just Mono
installed into different prefixes (
http://www.mono-project.com/Parallel_Mono_Environments ).

> 3) (related to #2) What is the difference between "Target" and "Runtime"
> support? eg. .NET Compact Framework 1.0 only has support for "Target", but
> not "Runtime". Does this simply mean NAnt can only used on a host PC to
> compile .NET
> CF 1.0 project, and not available as a library to execute on a WM
> device?

Correct. I'd suggest dropping 1.0 as supported "Runtime"
configuration, just leave it as "Target" - just my personal opinion,
many very useful additions to C# language cannot be used in NAnt
because of having 1.0 as supported runtime.

> 4) I see in the trunk, there are files named "nighly.xml" and "release.xml".
> These sound like they are a bootstrap process, can anyone provide a highlevel
> overview of how they work? (I haven't read these in much detail.)
>
> Cheers,
> Charles

Regards,

Leszek 'skolima' Ciesielski