On 2/9/07, Vee Harwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We use it currently for one of our products and nant for the other.
> >From my own personal experience, I would have to say that management
> types I deal with hold VBP in higher regard since it has a nice and
> shiny interface that nant doesn't.  Functionality wise, I would rate the
> two as pretty much equal in functionality, but I think nant runs faster
> (no official timings to prove that).
>
> VBP does have a nice feature of being able to click on and off certain
> build tasks in the UI for a given build project, if you do a lot of
> specialized builds often it's a nice feature to have.  One other thing
> we use it for that I don't think nant directly supports is downing and
> up'ing services before and after the build.  I'm sure you could <exec>
> the sc command to do the same thing.
>
> Just my .02, HTH

Some other things that are handy in VBuild that I dont think (or know
how to do in (N)ant) are:
Set per-line-item logging source - IE, pipe the output of a specific
line to the VBuild log from StdOut or from a specific file.
Easy per-line-item conditional execution
Set per-line-item success return code ranges (as opposed to just "0" =
successful step)
Synchronous/Asynchronous calls
Easier to read

Some things that are less handy in VBuild
No built-in directives. This is a big deal. You're basically authoring
a list of shell commands, so even though it looks less complicated
than (N)ant, crafting a script is as much if not much more labor
intensive.
No targets/functions/looping. It's one long linear path. If you need
to repeat an activity, it's copy/paste city.
Less support by 3rd parties. AFAIK, no 3rd party tools (Cruise
Control, Parabuild, etc) are designed to integrate with VBuild.

Note that my observations are based on a fairly old version of VBuild
(3.6), so some of the feature-centric observations may no longer be
the case.

IMO - VBuild is geared towards interactive builds and excels in that
area, wheras (n)ant is geared towards build automation and excels in
that area.

--
-Chris