you could try writing a function inside a <script> task that pokes the
BaseDirectory property of the Project class. Have a look at the
implementation of project::get-base-directory in NAntFunctions.cs ( in the
nant code base ).
Its probably not the best thing to be doing but if you can't get the source
for this custom task ...  Have you tried looking at the custom task's
assembly in reflector ? You may be able to subclass it and override
ExecuteTask - working around this task's behaviour.