I have to run the nant script on a remote computer from where the
software is being installed because of required reboots.. so I can't use
exec to directly launch the installer... that really complicates life :)

The build script for that project looks like this

        <target name="all" description="Does it all">
                <call target="mapRemoteDir"/>
                <call target="deployUninstall"/>
                <call target="deployReboot"/>
                <call target="waitForCleanServer"/>
                <call target="deployFiles"/>
                <call target="deployInstall"/>
                <call target="deployReboot"/>
                <call target="waitForTMSServer"/>
        </target>

The nant script is run by one machine, which pushes the nightly build to
another machine.  It uninstalls the last version on that remote, reboots
it, waits for it to come back, pushes the new installshield files to it,
starts the installer remotely, when the installer is finished, reboots
the machine, and then waits to ensure the machine is back.

It got even worse when the standard utilities to do this remote stuff
(launching processes) did not work from my build agents, hence why I had
to use my own visual basic scripts.  Also, all the remote process stuff
that uses WMI are 'fire and forget' methods.  Your local process does
not wait for the remote to finish.  Further complicating from a script
perspective knowing when to move to the next step.

-Steve