Sorry folks for my slow response.  Wearing many hat and fighting fires,
as I am sure you can all relate to.

When I posted my original question, I had installed the Windows SDK for
Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5.  I believe this installed SDK
Version 6.1.  However, Nant 0.86 did not, would not work with .NET 3.5
with this version of the SDK.  I tried cheating and hacking the
registry, but still no luck.

I then installed Visual Studio 2008 and in so doing, installed SDK
Version 6.0A.  Once I did this, Nant 0.86 began to work with .NET 3.5.
I adjusted the <framework> tag as follows:

<frameworks>

<platform name="win32" default="net-3.5">

. . .

</frameworks>

Then things began to work-finally.

So, it appears that Nant Version 0.86 requires Version 6.0A of the SDK
and that Version 6.1, even though it is 'supposedly' newer and supports
.NET Framework 3.5, doesn't work.

What I don't know and can't say for sure, is whether Nant Version 0.86
SHOULD be able to work with SDK Version 6.1.  I just don't know enough
about the differences between SDK to say for sure.  As far as I can
tell, when I ONLY had Version 6.1 of the SDK, the registry entries
pointed to the right directories.

I would prefer not to have to install Visual Studio 2008 on a target
build machine just to get support for Nant Version 0.86 and the
<msbuild> task.  I'd rather just install the appropriate SDK.  However,
I cannot seem to find a separate installation of SDK Version 6.0A on
Microsoft's web site.

At this point, all my build scripts are functioning normally and I have
full support for mixed builds of 2005 and 2008 solutions files.  That's
good.  But, having had to install so many SDK on our build server, I
have quickly running out of disk space.  Having 3 SDKs and 2 IDEs on a
build server should not be necessary-kind of a heavy-handed approach to
this problem.

Any additional thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Ken Parrish

Gomez, Inc.