Heap dumps enables post-mortem analysis of OOMs.

Pass -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError to VM and it'll dump the heap before exiting or use jmap (-dump:live,format=b,file=<name> <pid>) or visualvm to take a snapshot from a running process.

There are a number of tools to browse the contents.

Best regards,
Vladimir Ivanov