Hi Attila,

On 29.03.2021 19:29, Attila Szegedi wrote:
> today the most used ECMAScript version is 6 (ES6); Nashorn OTOH implements
> the full ECMAScript 5.1 (ES5) specification and also a subset[0] of 6.
> Mostly for compatibility purposes though, it defaults to ES5 and ES6 features
> aren’t enabled by default.

Probably a stupid question: is there some incompatibility introduced in the
ES6-mode of Nashorn
compared to 5.1? If not, why not have Nashorn run in ES6 mode by default and
maybe add a Bindings
entry indicating the execution mode of Nashorn (being ES6 in this case)?

Another idea might be to have two different Nashorn script engines packaged
where one is contained
in a module indicating ES5 and the other ES6 execution mode. Then it is
"merely" a matter which
module to download for a developer. An application needing Nashorn in ES6 mode
can then rely on
these features be present if the ES6-module gets used without a need to change
anything in the
script framework interfaces.

Other than that I think the System property approach would be the most
straight-forward one
("-Dorg.openjdk.nashorn.preferLanguage=es6") as developers are accustomed to
this pattern.

In any case, if there are two different execution modes possible it would be
helpful to allow
finding out at runtime which mode is currently in use (suggesting placing this
information into the
Bindings).

---rony