And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From:  David Rider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
via FN

I ran across this one [quote]last night. It's from an officer who 'served'
in the US forces that invaded the Phillipines and made war against
natives there, circa 1899-1901:

"There is no use mincing words...If we decide to stay [in the
Phillipines], we must bury all qualms and scruples about Weylerian
cruelty, the consent of the governed, etc., and stay. We exterminated
the American Indians, and I guess most of us are proud of it, or
at least, believe the end justified the means; and we must have
no scruples about exterminating this other race standing in the
way of progress and enlightenment, if it is necessary."

I often hear people today who say that terms like "genocide" and
"extermination" and "invasion" are too strong, and they accuse me
of using today's standards to judge actions of the past. Yet I
have read a seemingly endless array of quotes from people who were
'there' in the past and who used equally strong terms to describe
their own actions. Today's "standards", I believe, have changed
only in the sense that people are not supposed to openly admit what
was done in the past. The people who committed genocide knew what
they were doing, they were proud of it; and it never occurred to
most of them that any "human" would ever find fault with it. The
quote I provide above is not unique, it is typical...

dave