And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: "KOLA International Campaign Office" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netherlands - Febr. 6th demonstration for Leonard Peltier
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 99 20:12:27 PST

----------
Date: Wednesday 17 February 1999 06:49:42
From: Leonard Peltier Stichting Netherlands  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Febr. 6th demonstration for Leonard Peltier

Report on February 6th, 1999 Event for Leonard Peltier;
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

By Bruce Gurwitz

On February 6, 1999, I was able to participate in an event for
Leonard Peltier in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. There was a crowd
of approximately 80 people who gathered to march through the streets
of Amsterdam to bring awareness, to the Dutch people, about the
continued incarceration of Leonard Peltier, A Native American Political
Prisoner.

Although I had been interviewed by 2 different Dutch newspapers prior
to the Saturday event there was no news coverage in the press. In all
fairness, the death of King Hussein was perhaps more newsworthy, or
urgent, but not as much a tragedy as the sorrow injustice brings to all of
us, daily. Notwithstanding this, the turnout was enough to show me that
Leonard is thought of by many people from many different lands.

The march through Amsterdam, which occurred after a half hour preliminary
rally at Amsterdam Central Station, was led by two mounted police officers
who escorted us through the city. While weaving our way through the city,
we drew much attention as we passed by spectators, on our way to the
American Consulate. At that point, Frits Terpstra and I addressed the crowd.
I would say that Frits Terpstra spoke elouquently, but I don’t speak Dutch;
therefore I am not positive. ;-)

My message to the crowd was simple. It was, again, a plea for help from
these people, our commrades who support our efforts in the United States,
compassionately, to write to their representatives, and also, President
Clinton,
demanding that justice be served in the case of Leonard Peltier, not only for
our sakes, but for theirs as well, also asking that they attempt to pass the
news along about Leonard as often as they can. To live in a world in which
law and justice can be so completely manipulated and trampled upon, effects
all human beings of conscience. I expresssed that in the presence of the
forthcoming realization of a European Union, the world is getting more and
more closely connected. What effects one, effects all!!!

I gave a brief overview of Leonards case, including an update on his health,
and how unfairly treated he has been, for TWENTY-THREE (23) years, in
the american criminal injustice system, although it probably wasn’t necessary.
It sometimes seems that Leonard Peltier is more well known in Europe than
he is in the United States. This must be addressed, again, I believe.

Following the march, we reassembled at the Cinema de Balie, in Amsterdam,
for a viewing of Incident at Oglala. There were about 25 people who joined us
for the documentary, followed by a brief, question and answer period.

It was gratifying to see the support that Leonard has in the Netherlands. His
supporters are truly appalled at the United States’ lack of justice and
fair play.
To be able to march beside them, through Amsterdam, on a cold winters day,
for more than 5 miles, brought back to me the importance of continuing the

struggle. No matter how hard the road seems to be, we are never alone in
this,
or any other struggle of conscience. I would personally like to thank all
of our
friends in the Netherlands for their kindness and solidarity.

A few people deserve much thanks and appreciation for making this event
happen. Of course, there is Frits Terpstra, (Leonard Peltier Foundation,
Groningen,
The Netherlands) who is now and shall always be, a friend, a brother, a
confidant,
and a compassionate advocate for Leonard Peltier’s release, specifically,
but for
his humanity, in general. It would be an oversight not to mention also,
Sjaniek
Schaap, whose intelligence, heart and sensitivity define her as a human being.
Her work can be seen in the subtlety and grace that she adds to Frits, and her
depth as a person does not go unnoticed. Thank you both for your kindness.

However, this event would not have occurred without the persistence and
positiveness of Lennert van Oorschot, and his father, Wouter van Oorschot.
Lennert is a young, energetic newcomer who cares. He called Frits to ask how
he could go about making a march happen in Amsterdam. He was responsible for
all of the planning and for gaining his fathers interest in Leonard
Peltier. His father,
Wouter, a publisher in Amsterdam and a very wonderful human being, (as I came
to find) was responsible for issuing the Press release for the event. They
both care
about justice. They both care, period, and I wish to Thank them for their
efforts in
making the march through Amsterdam a success.

(Bruce Gurwitz is the founder and treasurer of the Council for Native American
Solidarity, a non-profit Native, Human and Civil rights organization
located in Winthrop,
MA. He was there by invitation of the Leonard Peltier Foundation,
Gronigen,NL. )

----end forwarded message----