And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:51:30 -0500
From: Landis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

         THE INDIAN HELPER
                ~%^%~
          A WEEKLY LETTER
             -FROM THE-
Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.
VOL. XIV. FRIDAY, February 17, 1899  NUMBER 17
          TURNING THE WINE-CUP.
           ---
   Hail! all ye children of this land.
  A cheerful,  mirthful,  numerous band,
          With your eager faces
            And your graces,
                 Come,
                 Come,
                 Come,
               Every one
              And let us
                 Take
                 Hold
                 Upon
                 This
               WINE-CUP
                  Yes
                 This
                 Great
               WINE-CUP,
          This red wine cup,
         This cruel  wine cup,
        This accursed wine cup,
       This all-intoxicating cup,
      That from the ancient times
    Has been filling up with crimes
   And  with anguish and with tears
   And with sin and hate, and  fears
   And with  bitter pains  and dread,
   And with cursings  strongly  said,
   While it  slowly  swelleth  higher,
   Higher, with an all-consuming fire
    That from out the lustrous wine
    Darts its forked flame, to twine
   'Round the victims, like a breath
   Mixed with want, or woe, or death.
   Ah dear children, come and stand,
   One great Home Guard in the land;
  Take this treacherous, guilded cup,
Right side  up,  in  glebe  and  town,
Which  always  should  be  upside  down.
        And let
         The fears
          And wine
           And tears,
             Escape
               Forevermore.
                 -JOHN P. TROWBRIDGE.

     LAST SATURDAY NIGHT.
   --------
  At the Saturday evening meeting last week there were present the
visiting chiefs, whose names are given elsewhere.  Ida Swallow was
called upon to play a piano solo for them, and her selection and skilful
rendition pleased them greatly as was evidenced by the way they watched
her fingers fly over the keys.  It was plain to be seen that the chiefs
were proud that one of their race could produce sounds so charming.
  Black Horn was then called out and introduced by Major Pratt.
  "I never before in my life saw anything like this," he said. "I see
you here from all over the United States.  You look like white people.
You are just the same as white people, and I am very glad to see you
here.  I am related to you all.  You are of my race.  When you leave
this place you can go home and be able to take care of yourselves.  When
I look around me and see this nice house and all these wonderful things
it is just like a dream.  It makes me feel good to see you all here."
  Next, Big Foot was introduced by the Major.  He was dressed as Black
Horn was in citizens clothing and wore his hair long.  It was neatly
brushed, and his suit was of good fit and scrupulously clean.  Straight
as an arrow he stood waiting for the applause to cease so he could make
his opening remarks.
  Isaac Blount, their travelling interpreter translated the words as Big

Foot spoke:
  "I wish my forefathers had had these opportunities.  Our forefathers
did not know how to bring up their children as you are being brought up;
we were like cattle.  As I grew up, I learned that it was best to send
my child to school as you are here.  If the children learn to be like
white people, they will learn to be able to take care of themselves.  We
have land at home for you, and when you get home it will be there for
you and you will be able to earn your living.  We do not know anything,
but you will be able to help the old people to do like the whites.  When
you get home your parents will depend upon you and you can tell them
what you know.  I came here to see you, and I see that you are like the
white people.  I am very glad to be here."
  The school then sang most heartily "Send the Light," after which Major
Pratt used the occasion.
  He first spoke to the chiefs and had his words interpreted.  He told
them that they had been kind to speak to us and that we were glad to see
them here.  There is no school more
        (Continued on Fourth Page.)
(page 2)
          THE INDIAN HELPER
         PRINTED EVERY FRIDAY
                --AT THE--
Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.,
          BY INDIAN BOYS.
---> THE INDIAN HELPER is PRINTED by Indian
boys, but EDITED by The man-on-the-band-stand
         who is NOT an Indian.
    P r i c e -- 10  c e n t s  p e r  y e a r
Entered in the P.O. at Carlisle as second
        class mail matter.
Address INDIAN HELPER, Carlisle, Pa.
       Miss Marianna Burgess, Supt. of Printing.
Do not hesitate to take the HELPER from the
Post Office for if you have not paid for it
some one else has.  It is paid for in advance.
  Mrs. Lydia E. (Dittes) Davis who is now at White Earth Agency,
Minnesota, says in a business letter that they are having a very cold
winter.
--------------
  A letter from Fred Penn, Osage, who attended our school years ago
shows that he has married a white young lady.  He sends to his old
teacher, Miss Carter, a picture of his handsome little baby boy of which
he seems very proud.  Fred has been on the police force of the Osage
agency for sometime, but is now High Sheriff of the tribe.  We  notice
on his certificate the names of Alex Tallchief and Embry Gibson both
ex-pupils.  The former is Private Secretary to Chief Black Dog, and the
latter Executive Interpreter for Saucy Chief.
        --------------
  The entertainment to be given by the band next Friday night in the
Opera House, Carlisle, is for the benefit of the G.A.R.  Director
Wheelock will present a living picture that has never been excelled by
our band.  His arrangement of Tobani's Civil War to suit the times and
circumstances of the Spanish-American War is full of laughable as well
as pathetic scenes.  His band numbers 61 members, and their music

compared with what it was in the early part of the season is a great
success.  25, 35 and 50 cents admission.
--------------
  Ex-pupil, Henry Horselooking, of Rosebud Agency, has married and
settled down at the Agency.  He says he is working for "Uncle Samuel."
He thinks the Indians of that section can do better at stock-raising
than at farming, for the season is short.  In mentioning his marriage,
he puts it thus: "Excuse me, I did not live by myself since on the 7th
of August, 1898."  The Man-on-the-band-stand thinks he is entirely
excusable if he found a good young lady who would have him for better or
worse.  He was ever a faithful student here, and was well liked by all
who had to do with him.  He was a good hand on the farm in the country,
and his reputation for straight-forward, honest work, was excellent.

  What was ever more welcome than the whistle of the first locomotive
from Harrisburg, which brought the mail through from the outside world
after the blizzard?  The siren on the frog works is nothing.  By the
way:  Carlisle had among her visitors a poet not long since, and the
siren on the frog works, which is enough to wake the dead, aroused his
curiosity and poetical fire until he brought forth this rhyme, found on
the table of his room after he left:
    Oh, list to that sound that so breaks on the air.
    Like the winds in a blizzardy fit of despair;
    Then drifts off in plaints like an elephant's laugh,
    Or the groans and bawls of a great Unco calf;
    Now like a fierce lion, in rapturous roar,
    Or screech of a fog horn when driving ashore;
    A Catamount's wail in a mountain ravine,
    Where naught else than lynx an the tiger are seen;
    Then dwarfs like a convict making a lunge
    From a huge alligator after a plunge.
    A steam organ's notes would be tame to compare,
    With old Vulcan's bellows so high toned and rare,
    While the coyotes yelp and the hoot of the owl,
    With the jackass bray and the bulldogs howl,
    Are spread to the breeze on wild pinions afar,
    As though gates of heaven and the earth were ajar.
    Just list once again!   It will make your hair bristle,
    O, pshaw!  It's that pesky, unearthly old whistle.
  We have with us a little now-bound visitor - Master Jarvis Butler, on
his way to Virginia.  The Man-on-the-band-stand seeing that time hung
heavily, employed the young gentleman to aid in the arduous reportorial
duties of ye HELPER editor, and these are the items of the youthful
reporter:
  90 large boys left here on Tuesday morning to clear the railroad
tracks; the Cumberland Valley Railroad asked for 30 boys and the Reading
Railroad asked for 60 boys also.  The Cumberland Valley Railroad boys
were served lunch by the Railroad and the Reading boys had their lunch
carried to them from the school.  They had coffee, bread, butter and
eggs.  It was hard work, but a kind of picnic for them.
  Mr. Kensler, going to his home in town Sunday night got lost in a snow
drift.  He said it was hard getting out of it and he will not do it
again.

  The trolley came out on its first trip after Sunday morning, on
Tuesday, at 5:15 P.M.  It came about 500 yards from its usual stopping
place.
  The first train of the Cumberland Valley Railroad after Sunday morning
came through from the East on Tuesday at 5:30 o'clock P.M.
  There is a new kind of goose in the tailor shop;  it was caught in the
bone house by one of the tailor boys.  They call him Mr. Crow.
  Mary Barry who was sick for a few days came over from the hospital on
Tuesday and took her old place at waiting on our table.
  On Tuesday evening some of the ladies and gentlemen had a coasting
party after study hour, the men playing horse.
  The Commencement Number of the RED MAN will contain all the graduation
orations, a picture of the entire class, and a number of views of the
school, the names of visitors, and a complete account of everything that
is said from the platform on Wednesday evening and Thursday afternoon.
In no other place can a full account be had.  Five cents for single
copy.
(page 3)
  Bicycles are taking a rest.
  Mail trains are not regular up to this writing.
  Did you get a valentine?  Ask our foreman.
  That'll do!  We have had all the blizzards we want.
  Mrs. Pratt's and Lincoln's birthday came last Sunday.
  Miss Shaffner has returned from her country trip among the girls.
  The Hiltons have to blanket their kitchen clock this zero weather to
make it go.
  The Man-on-the-band-stand does not mean it for impudence when he says
"Shut your mouth" out in the cold raw air.
  Librarian Sara Smith reports that the best cared for books of all
taken from the library are by the pupils of Numbers 6 and 7, Miss Paull
and Miss Robertson, teachers.
  The pike for several hundred yards either side of Judge Henderson's is
fence-high with snow, and was impassable for teams till it was shoveled
and plowed out.
  Out of the fifteen male graduates this year there are six
harnessmakers - Chauncey Archiquette, J. Jennings Gouge, Louie McDonald,
Corbett Lawyer, Thomas Denomie, and Vincent Natailsh.
  Lydia Gardner came in from Lansdowne to have her picture taken with
class '99.  She is attending High School at Lansdowne, having taken our
course and more.  Lydia returned to her school yesterday.
  The band went to Harrisburg last evening to blow themselves and help
blow the women suffragists into public recognition as beings more
important than THINGS.  Only women, Indians as Indians, and paupers are
deprived of voting.
  Miss Senseney held another of her choir soirees on last Thursday
evening in Teachers' parlor. Some of the costumes of her guests were
grotesque and interesting, and the evening was full of pleasant
entertainment and surprises.
  Miss Bowersox, Miss Kowuni, Professor Bakeless, Mr. Marshall, Mrs.
Given, and Miss Annie Morton will attend the societies tonight, the
first two named, the Invincibles, the next two, the Standards, and the
last two, the Susans.
  For one hundred and two years Carlisle has not experienced as cold
weather as on last Thursday and Friday, and those were the days that two

of the schools went sleighing.  On Saturday the weather was not so
bitter, and the Juniors went.
  The Dawes bill was ably discussed by our pupils on Friday night,
before the visiting Indians.  Joseph Gouge presided and the speakers
were Dahney George, Amelia Clark and Louie McDonald, Affirmative; Edward
Peters, John B. Warren and Frank Beale, Negative.

  Scrubbing is disagreeable to most students, but we know of departments
that have made of the task such a pleasant duty that students beg to
scrub.  That is the secret of good management.
  Now we have straw boards for mailing photographs, light weight and
sure protection from breakage in the mail bag.  We are selling more of
the band and football just now than any other pictures.  They are 14x18
and splendid photographs; 80 cents buys one; 86 cents by mail.
  A valuable acquisition to the library has been received from the
Minister for Siam - Visuddha, who recently visited the school.  It is a
facsimile of a copy of a letter from a former King of Siam to a King of
Portugal, and one of a leaf of the Bodleian MS or Plygt, c.i.  The gifts
will prove of great interest to the history loving portion of our
school.
  J. Wells Champney, of New York the celebrated artist, is coming.  He
is to deliver the Tuesday night lecture, commencement week.  He chalks
as he talks, putting life into his pictures in a most infatuating
manner.  His lecture is mirth-provoking as well as serious and
artistic.  Tickets will be twenty-five cents.  This lecture is something
that everybody will desire to hear.  Secure tickets at Means' and
Richards' after Monday next.
  Acting Postmistress Miss Ely put up where all could see it at the
Office: No mail.  Then Miss Miles coming along and knowing that our
supply of Chicago beef could not get through if the mails could not,
wrote under Miss Ely's line: No meat.  A wag taking up the story in four
words added a supplement: No eat, and thus, the placard read: No Mail.
No meat.  No Eat.  Finally an Indian boy added:  No work.
  "I hain't got no rubbers." - The little Indian girl in line who called
out as she came from the girls' quarters last Monday evening on her way
to the gymnasium: "I hain't got no rubbers," little suspected that there
was a friend who overheard her and who was very much ashamed of the
English.  Did she know better?  Then she, too, should be ashamed.  Did
she know NO better?  Then she must profit by this little allusion to her
mistake and learn better.  Why"  Our speech places us.
  The wall of snow in front of the boys quarters stands man high and
looks like a formidable piece of breast-work before a fort that is to be
held at all hazards.  Mr. Thompson passes through a cut, shoulder high,
as he goes to and from his office.  In the shop-court there is a drift
through which the men pass in going to the tin, harness and shoeshops
that is higher than a man's shoulders.  All the walks are walled on
either side by high snow banks.  The eight-foot fence around the
athletic field is almost out of sight in one place.  The snow is dry and
packed hard.  Before it became so packed the Indio-young America was in
high glee, when dressed in overcoat and other protection, he dove, swam

and wallowed in the "Beautiful," enjoying the fun.  In one drift we saw
the boys jumping from a high place as from a long springboard into a
swimming pool, going in all over and entirely out of sight.
(page 4)
glad to see the chiefs when they go to and from Washington than the
Carlisle school.  We hope they will not pass us by, ever.  We are glad
to have them stay long enough to get acquainted with us.  There are 70
different tribes, and yet there are none of us who could pick out those
from each tribe.  Here and there are a few known by the tribe.  If the
chiefs have visited the quarters where the students room, in every room
occupied by three students they found that three tribes were
represented, and that they were all friends.  A Sioux Indian at this
school does not think himself any better than a Crow.  We are working
together, and we are pulling one way.  That is what makes us strong.
  You can see that the children do not look as though they were
starved.  (Laughter on the part of the chiefs.)
  Then the Major spoke of the mind-food we were giving our students, and
impressed upon the chiefs the necessity of children learning to help
themselves, and of keeping them in places where they may learn
independence.  He pushed and pulled and did everything he could to get
them out and to become self-supporting and self-respecting men and
women.  He had many people here to help him, but it was discouraging
when all the talks they heard from the home people were to the effect
that they must go back to help the people who were older than the
children and should be helping themselves.  He gave his son an
education, and then he said "Go out and help yourself."  He did not say
"Come back to the Carlisle School and help me."
  "I want you to come to see us again," continued the Major "and the
next time you come I want you to stand up and advise my boys to get out
into the business of the world by themselves and work themselves up.
You have said that they look like white people, and they are like white
people, but this thing that you ask my boys to do, is not like the white
people, it is like the Indians.  I want them to become merchants, and
farmers, and lawyers, and doctors, and to do what is right.  I want my
boys to be able to stand alone and to be independent men.
  Your land is not worth much.  It cannot help you.  I never owned a
foot of land in my life, and I feel that I am better off than the
Indian.  MANHOOD is what we must have."
  Then the major talked most earnestly to the student body showing that
it were better that they possessed no land if it had to hang about their
necks to drag them back and down.  Anything that held the Indians
together as Indians meant their destruction.
  We should not be willing to always stay in the A B C of learning and
experience when by the right kind of push we could reach the Algebra
stage.  We would be foolish to stay here and dig for lead when we could
move to yonder mountains and get gold.
  The editor of the HELPER wishes he had the space to give the Major's
address in full.

  All who heard it absorbed the spirit, and it has caused more comment
and aroused more thought in right lines than anything that had happened
for many a day.
  ====================================
        A. DEMURRER.
          ---------
  Not long since a letter from one of our graduates in the west was
printed in the HELPER.  In it he made the remark that he did not care to
tie himself to a wife before he has seen something of the world.
  A farm mother takes exceptions to the proposition and thinks he must
have meant that he did not dare to ask a nice girl to tie herself to him
until there was evidence of his proving a strong, firmly-set hitching
post.
  William Denomie, '94 was the young man and we will let him answer for
himself.
  There is such a thing, however, of planting oneself too firmly in one
spot when opportunities for broadening and strengthening are on every
hand, and we trust that Mr. Denomie will keep to his original plan of
getting out and learning more.
  =====================================
       A FAMILY OF BOYS.
         ------------
  Mrs. Griffin's family of boys at the Kearney, Nebraska, State
Industrial School, (a model of its kind) enjoys reading the HELPER, so
she writes, and thinks it a very nice little paper.  She says they are
much interested in the news about the Indians.  The
Man-on-the-band-stand congratulates her boys in their desire to get
reliable news and that which shows the best side of their red brother.
The Indian is not what history in the main pictures him.  Don't believe
that he is treacherous!  He is as industrious as his white brother after
he learns now.  Don't believe that he can learn how just as well if a
few people are sent to the tribe to teach him as he can if he is allowed
to go out and associate with good people outside of his tribe!  Read the
right kind of papers and you will get the truth about the Indians.
  =====================================
        Enigma.
  I am made of 6 letters.
  My 1, 4, 3 one may sleep on.
  My 1, 2, 5, 6 is an article of dress.
  My whole is the relation that the Carlisle School stood to the outside
world for a part of the week.
  ANSWER TO LAST WEEK'S ENIGMA: Chitoski Nick.
  ANSWER TO ENIGMA OF WEEK BEFORE LAST:  Shoveling Paths.
Transcribed every week from the Carlisle Indian School newspaper
collection of the Cumberland County Historical Society by Barbara
Landis, Carlisle Indian School Research - http://www.epix.net/~landis.