And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: Robert Eurich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just in news regarding the University of North Dakota "Fighting Sioux"
That it was a tie is, to my mind, a good sign, or at least not a bad
one.

UND Student Senate splits on nickname

http://www.northscape.com/news/docs/0222/0222nickname.htm

<excerpt>
Dozens turn out for more debate

By Stephen J. Lee

Herald Staff Writer

After 90 minutes of spirited debate from an unusually large audience,
the UND Student Senate failed Sunday to override a veto of theirJan. 31
vote to change the Fighting Sioux nickname.

The override vote was 11-11; a two-thirds majority, or 16 of
the24-member Senate, was required for an override. Two memberswere not
present at Sunday's meeting.

The vote is largely symbolic; it serves only as an advisory vote to
theUND president, who would make any such name change. But the Senate's
action has engendered debate the past month on campus, in the news media
and in Bismarck, where a resolution to change the  name was soundly
defeated by the state House.

<end excerpt>

--
American Indian Sports Team Mascots

http://www.geocities.com/~earnestman/1indexpage.htm

"Little drops of rain wear away the greatest of stones."

We now have over 85,000 e-mail communities. Check out our new web site!

http://www.onelist.com
You are on the anti racism list to sub/unsub go to:

http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi?userinfo