And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>From BIGMTLIST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 23:10:35 -0400
From: Al Swilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: alt.native
Subject: THE TIME TO UNITE HAS ARRIVED (actually, it's overdue)

THE TIME TO UNITE HAS ARRIVED

To All American Indigenous People:

I'm sure that you have all probably heard about the Dine'h
people's fight for survival in Arizona and how the
government is trying to force them off land that they have
lived on for centuries--land that is sacred to both the
Dine'h and Hopi people, land that has been willingly shared
by the tribes and still would be if the U.S. government and
Peabody Western Coal Company had not gotten involved.

If you have not heard about the atrocities being committed
against the Dine'h people in Arizona's HPL, go to SENAA's
web site at:
http://members.xoom.com/senaa/index2.html

and read the reports. If you are familiar with the
situation, visit the site and read the reports again to
refresh your memory.

For those you know who do not have computers or access to
the Internet, please inform them about what is happening to
the Dine'h people. Print copies of some of the more
informative photos and articles and see that they are
distributed among your family, friends, and acquaintances.

The significance of this issue goes far beyond the Dine'h
people. The outcome of their plight will determine how every
American indigenous nation and individual will be treated by
the U.S. government in the future. If we do not stand united
with the Dine'h against the crimes that are being committed
against them, if the U.S. government is allowed to continue
to deprive them of their human rights, civil rights,
Constitutional rights to free exercise of their religion,
and even their right to survive--as it has for years now--it
will send a message to the U.S. government and every hate
group in the nation that it's okay to treat us this way. By
its actions, the U.S. government is already, in effect,
putting its seal of approval on the assault, torture, and
murder of groups, families, and individuals just because
their skin color or religious beliefs are "different." Be
warned, my friends: What is happening to the Dine'h people
now can happen to you or me next, if this is allowed to
continue!

We who have computers and those of us who travel the Powwow
Circuit are the only ones who have been getting the news
about what is happening to the Dine'h people. The national
news media are NOT covering this vital issue. National media
that should have been covering this drama has been
conspicuously absent. Only reporters from publications with
relatively low circulation have had the courage and have
cared enough to give the Dine'h's plight the attention that
it deserves. None of the major media have broadcast anything
about this tragedy. Is it because they just don't care, or
is it because the U.S. government has ordered them to keep
silent about it?

I am in the process of discovering the answer to that
question. I am notifying ALL the national media and
requesting that they immediately conduct investigative
reports into the Dine'h people's mistreatment and the
injustices being perpetrated and perpetuated against them.
However, one small group such as SENAA is seldom listened to
if the media decide to be stubborn about it. It will take
each and every one of us, united in our efforts, to cause
the necessary changes. Remember: "The squeaky wheel gets the
grease!"

IT IS NOW TIME FOR ALL AMERICAN INDIAN PEOPLE AND OUR
SUPPORTERS TO UNITE AS ONE IN OUR EFFORTS TO STOP THE
ATROCITIES AND HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS BEING COMMITTED
AGAINST THE DINE'H PEOPLE!

>From this day forward, our moto must be:

"IF YOU HAVE WRONGED ONE AMERICAN INDIAN, YOU HAVE WRONGED
US ALL!"

As a Native American and founder of SENAA, and on behalf of
the Dine'h people, I ask each person who reads this letter
to contact the following media: "Nightly News"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "48 Hours" [EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Robert
Dorman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, , "MSNBC"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "CBS News" <http://www.cbs.com>, "ABC
News" <http://www.abcnews.com>, "CNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

E-mail them, write to them, phone them. Don't just contact
them once. Contact them often and continually until they
listen and do something about it. The media should hear from
each of us at least twice each week--more often if you have
the time and can afford it.

UNDERSCORING THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS ISSUE:

To underscore the importance of this issue, I have, after
much prayer and contemplation, pledged to the Dine'h people,
as I now pledge to all of you, the following:

If, by 30 May 1999, the national media have not broadcast
and/or published at least one balanced, comprehensive
article about the Dine'h people's plight with a promise of
more in-depth coverage to follow, then on or around the
first day of June, 1999, I will call for press conference
with local and national media to be held in Cleveland,
Tennessee, and a rally of all Native American people and
supporters who can attend. At the press conference/rally, I
will outline the story of the Dine'h people at Big Mountain,
announce my intentions to the press, ask for the support of
the Native American people, pray to the Creator for help and
strength, and then leave Cleveland, Tennessee, and embark on
the more than 1,800 mile walk to Big Mountain on the HPL in
Arizona.

The purpose of the trek will be to gather support for the
Dine'h people and to stress the profound and far-reaching
importance of preserving the dignity and restoring to the
Dine'h people ALL of their rights and priviledges by
repealing Public Laws 93-531, and 104-301, and S1973 "The
Navaho Hopi Land Dispute Settlement Act of 1996."

If the walk becomes necessary, I hope each of you will
support it and will urge everyone you know to give their
support by daily harrassing the press to give this issue the
coverage it deserves and by harrassing Washington officials
and the President, demanding that they repeal P.L. 93-531,
P.L. 104-301, and S1973; immediately cease to persecute the
Dine'h people; provide for the replacement of the water used
by Peabody Coal Company; order the clean-up of the air, soil
and water polluted by the coal company; restore to the
Dine'h people all the livestock that was taken, compensation
to the Dine'h people for their suffering;
and monetary  compensation to the families of people who
died as the result of the atrocities committed against them
by the U.S.
government.

Providing I don't break a leg, I should be able to travel 25
miles or more per day. If I average 25 miles per day and
leave on the first day of June, I should arrive at my
Arizona destination on or around 14 August 1999. My wife has
agreed to accompany me by driving ahead to each day's
destination to provide moral support, food, and fresh water
during the journey.

Hopefully, the project will gain support along the way as
more people learn the story of the Dine'h people and their
plight.

We only have until January, 2000, rally the American people
to persuade Congress and the President to repeal  P.L.
93-531, P.L. 104-301, and S1973 and begin restoring the
lives of the Dine'h people at Big Mountain.

Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter. I
hope that I can count on your support to raise public
awareness and fight this cause.

I have a small card in my wallet with a short verse on it. I
start each day with the thought that it expresses. I will
leave you with those words. I hope you find it as meaningful
as I did:

This is the beginning of a new day.
The Creator has given me this day
to use as I will.
I can waste it or grow in its light
and be of service to others;
But what I do with this day is important,
because I have exchanged a day of my life for it.

When tomorrow comes,
today will be gone forever.
I hope I will not regret the price I paid for it.

Sincerely yours

Al Swilling
SENAA President/Founder

header.   For non-list members receiving this post as a forwarded message,
you may  subscribe by emailing [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words
 "subscribe BIGMTLIST" in the subject header. For Big Mountain and other
 activist internet resources, visit "The
 Activist Page" at
 http://www.theofficenet.com/~redorman/welcome.html
 Also, for great internet tools please visit:
 http://www.msw.com.au/cgi-bin/msw/entry?id=1271

This message was sent to you by
Name: BIGMTLIST
Email Address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]