And now:"S.I.S.I.S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

NOTE: Please send any comments or inquiries about this post to the original
sender, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, *not* S.I.S.I.S.

------Forwarded message------
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 13:08:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Margrete Strand-Rangnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [mai] fwd> Union of BC Indian Chiefs to FTAA/WTO: Our Land Is Our
Future

Here is the presentation that the Union of BC Indian Chiefs made
to the federal Standing Committee on the WTO and the FTAA.

OUR LAND IS OUR FUTURE
UNION OF BRITISH COLUMBIA INDIAN CHIEFS

FOUNDING HEAD OFFICE
VANCOUVER OFFICE
335 Yellowhead Highway
  5th Floor,
342 Water Street
Kamloops. B.C. V2H 1HI
Vancouver. B.C. V6B 1B6
Tel: (250) 828-9746
Tel: (604) 684-0231
Fax: (250) 828-0319
Fax: (604) 684-5726
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

UNION OF B.C. INDIAN CHIEFS

PRESENTATION TO THE STANDING COMMITTEE ON INTERNATIONAL TRADE

BY CHIEF STEWART PHILLIP, PRESIDENT

Vancouver: April 26, 1999

"Our unsurrendered Aboriginal Title is a barrier to trade; our
unsurrendered right of Self Determination is a barrier to trade.
Any initiatives which are designed to exploit or further
commercialize our lands and resources require our full and
informed consent both at International law, and in domestic
Canadian law. Until Canada obtains this consent, it is not in a
position to enter into any international trade agreements."

Introduction:

Indigenous Peoples are paying the price for the regionalization,
nationalization and internationalization of our Lands and
Resources. The consequences of the current international trade
initiatives on Indigenous Peoples will be severe.

Our People tell stories of enduring horrific conditions of
poverty within their communities as they helplessly watch as the
wealth and richness of the land flows out of our territories.
More money flows out of our territories in one load of logs,
harvested without our consent, than a family of four relying upon
social assistance receives in one year.

Loads of timber; rivers and lakes dammed to produce
hydro-electric power; tons of salmon and other marine resources
being sent to foreign markets. As Indigenous Peoples we are the
original owners of the Land and Resources, but you would never
know it to see the poverty that our people live in.

"The Land is the People, and the People are the Land":

All issues concerning Aboriginal Title territories, including
Lands, Waters and Resources are crucially important to Indigenous
People. Our philosophy tells us: "The Land is the People, and the
People are the Land". Since time immemorial our Peoples have been
intimately connected to the Land. Our Cultures, Languages,
Political Organizations and Spiritual and Economic well-being all
flow from our relationship to the Land. Without our strong
connection to, and responsibility for, the Land, our Peoples
would cease to exist. This connection to the Land is our
Aboriginal Title.

It is our Aboriginal Title, and therefore the very survival of
our Peoples, which is threatened by the international trade
initiatives that Canada is considering.

For the membership of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs, who have
not signed any treaties nor sold our Aboriginal Title territories
to Canada, our Aboriginal Title and Jurisdiction remains. Until
we voluntarily sell or cede our interest in our Aboriginal Title
Lands to the federal Crown, Canada does not have the jurisdiction
or legal right to purport to grant any interests in our Lands to
any third party (including individuals or foreign corporations).

Current International Trade Initiatives:

Canada is contemplating entering into international trade
agreements and protocols which will ensure that foreign investors
have guaranteed access to our Lands and Resources.  It is the
view of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs that Canada will use
international trade agreements and protocols to condone the
legalized theft of our Lands and Resources, and denial of our
Right of Self Determination.

Canada, in practice, has not recognized the Aboriginal Title of
the original inhabitants of this land, and does not recognize the
Nation to Nation relationship which exists between Indigenous
Peoples and the Crown.  Canada has never honoured

- our inherent right of Self Determination;

- our Aboriginal Title to the lands, waters and resources which
comprise our traditional territories; nor,

- our international status as peoples.

Canada has proceeded as thought it has the unilateral authority
to enter into these trade agreements without the consent of
Indigenous Peoples.  Indigenous Peoples have not been informed
nor consulted about these international trade initiatives.
Aboriginal Title has been treated as though it were invisible, as
though it does not exist.

The Supreme Court of Canada, in the Delgamuukw decision (December
11, 1997), made it abundantly clear that our legal interest and
title to the lands and resources exists and is on par with Crown
title. This means that Canada has no unilateral power to grant or
vest any interest in our Aboriginal Title lands without our full
participation and consent.

The International trade initiatives may override Section 35 of
the Constitution Act, 1982 which constitutionally protects
Aboriginal Title and Rights. By granting an automatic interest in
our lands and resources to foreign companies and interests, these
international trade initiatives will recognize more rights to a
C.E.O. sitting in a foreign metropolis than to Indigenous Peoples
who are intimately connected with and depend upon the Land and
its resources. A major focus of the current initiatives being
considered by the Standing Committee on International Trade is to
eliminate the "barriers to trade" at an International level. Our
unsurrendered Aboriginal Title is a barrier to trade; our
unsurrendered right of Self Determination is a barrier to trade.
Any initiatives which are designed to exploit or further
commercialize our lands and resources require our full and
informed consent both at International law, and in domestic
Canadian law. Until Canada obtains this consent, it is not in a
position to enter into any international trade agreements.

Current Canadian and B.C, Trade Policies and Practices:

Under the current trade laws which Canada and the provinces
operate under our Aboriginal Title and Rights have been under
attack. Within British Columbia, to use one example, the
provincial government has increasingly off-loaded and granted
interests in our lands and resources to third party developers
without our consent. Initiatives such as the permitting of
nontimber forest products and marine resources, and the
streamlining of Crown lands acquisitions policies, all have the
impact of minimizing our interests in our title territories.

Provisions of the Free Trade Area of the Americas agreement
(FTAA) would give corporations the power to sue national
governments where domestic legislation restricts trade. At
present, Canada's domestic laws do not go far enough in
protecting Lands and Resources, and are entirely silent about
protecting Aboriginal Title, Rights and Jurisdiction..

Through the FTAA, Canada might be placed in the position of
compensating foreign investors where Canadian environmental
legislation or other policies (perhaps the recognition of
Aboriginal Title or Rights) limit investment opportunities.
Despite years of unauthorized taking of our Lands and Resources
Canada has not once compensated Indigenous Peoples for the
infringement of our Lands and Resources.

Canada has still not recognized our Aboriginal Title. Will this
recognition be precluded under the new investment and trade
agreements? The Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs believe that foreign
companies could sue Canada for recognizing our Title and Rights
to specific Lands and Resources. Certainly, recognition of the
Jurisdiction of Indigenous Peoples would leave Canada open to
liability where international companies feel this interferes with
their free and easy access to Resources.

The result of the international trade agreements will be to
restrict and limit Canada's current recognition of Aboriginal
Title and Rights, and to, in effect, "tie Canada's hands" towards
any future broader recognition of our Right of Self Determination
and Aboriginal Title.

For practical purposes, the international trade agreements will
give Canada a means of side-stepping our Aboriginal Title and
Rights by recognizing economic interests of foreign interests
before and above our Constitutionally protected Aboriginal Title
and Rights.

These trade policies will only serve to further disconnect our
Peoples from the Land and Resources by granting an interest in
the Waters, Lands, Forests, Minerals, Plants, Fish and Animals
which sustain us, to Companies and investors who have never set
foot upon our soil, who have never sustained and taken care of
the Land, who have no interest in the Land aside from the money
it can provide to them. The only way that these foreign entities
can acquire an interest in our Lands and Resources is if Canada
sells out our People and negates its fiduciary responsibilities
by entering into these international trade agreements. As the
Standing Committee on International Trade you have the power to
prevent this.

International Law:

The Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs is very concerned about the
blatant hypocrisy which Canada has displayed in the International
arena. There are international covenants in place which recognize
the right of Self Determination for Indigenous Peoples, and
recognize that the theft of land equals genocide for Indigenous
peoples who are closely connected to the Land. Canada has fought
recognition of Indigenous Nations as "Peoples" Internationally,
and has not implemented or honoured the rights of Indigenous
Peoples at International law; And yet, Canada seeks to use
international agreements in an attempt to further their claims
against our Lands and Resources:

Special Rapporteur, Miguel Alfonso Martinet, in his Study on
treaties, agreements and other constructive arrangements between
States and indigenous populations' to the United Nations called
this "a process of retrogression" through which Indigenous
peoples have been deprived of (or saw greatly reduced) three of
the four essential attributes on which their original status as
sovereign nations was grounded, namely their territory, their
recognized capacity to enter into international agreements, and
their specific forms of government. Not to mention the
substantial reduction of their respective populations in many
countries around the world, due to a number of factors including,
assimilationist policies. (at 22)

The Special Rapporteur lists the ways that colonizing powers,
including Canada, undermine Indigenous Nations by divesting
Indigenous Peoples of their "sovereign attributes, especially
jurisdiction over their lands, recognition of their forms of
societal organisation, and their status as subjects of
international law." (at 23)

Until Canada honours and fully implements International covenants
recognizing the rights of Indigenous Peoples, Canada is not in a
position to enter into any international agreements on trade
concerning our Lands and Resources.

Without surrender, without consent, Indigenous Peoples will never
support any international trade initiatives which grant interests
in our Lands and Resources to foreign entities. If Canada's goal
is to increase certainty and economic prosperity for Canadians
entering into these agreements without the consent of each and
every Indigenous Nation whose title territories will be affected
is not the way to achieve this.

No matter how many international agreements or protocols Canada
signs, the resources will still have to be taken out of our
backyards and we will not allow this to happen. Our people are
prepared to take a stand to prevent any further destruction and
degradation of our territories. Canada is not acting honestly
within the international community if it pretends that it has the
jurisdiction and legal authority to unilaterally enter into trade
agreements concerning our lands and resources without our
consent.

Recommendations:

1.     Until the Land Question is fully resolved to the
satisfaction of Indigenous Peoples, Canada is not in a position
to enter any International Trade Agreements concerning the
unceded Aboriginal Title territories and Resources within British
Columbia.

2.     Any trade agreements or protocols that Canada enters into
must be made explicitly subject to the Aboriginal Title and
Rights of Indigenous Peoples who hold Title, Rights and
Jurisdiction to the Lands and Resources.

3.     Indigenous Peoples are Nations in an international sense
and no agreements or protocols that Canada enters into absent our
consent can over-ride our Nationhood and right of Self
>Determination.

4.    All Land use and Resource extraction initiatives require
the full and informed consent of the Indigenous Peoples whose
territories are involved before proceeding. All development must
proceed in concert with Indigenous Peoples' own laws and
traditions relating to the protection of the Land, Waters and
Resources.

5.   Any international trade agreements must contain provisions
for the explicit recognition of the Jurisdiction of Indigenous
Peoples, and that Indigenous Peoples' own laws cannot be
overridden by any international trade agreements that Canada
enters into, and foreign companies must agree to the application
of Indigenous Peoples' laws as a precondition to any developments
on our territories.

6.  All international trade agreements must contain provisions
which recognize the right of Indigenous Peoples to benefit
culturally, as well as economically, from any developments on our
Title territories.

7.  The United Nations, or other international bodies, be invited
to send permanent representative to Canada to ensure that the
Title and Rights of all Indigenous Peoples are respected and
honoured despite any international trade agreements that Canada
is currently party to, or may enter into in the future.

**********************************

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving the included information for research and
educational purposes.

Margrete Strand Rangnes
MAI Project Coordinator
Public Citizen Global Trade Watch
215 Pennsylvania Ave, SE
Washington DC, 20003 USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
202-546 4996, ext. 306
202-547 7392 (fax)

To subscribe to the MAI Listserv send an e-mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED], or subscribe directly by going to our
website, www.tradewatch.org (Please indicate organizational
affiliation if any, and also where you found out about this
listserv)

Search the MAI-NOT & MAI-INTL archives at
http://lists.essential.org/

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    S.I.S.I.S.   Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
        P.O. Box 8673, Victoria, "B.C." "Canada" V8X 3S2

        EMAIL : <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        WWW: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/SISmain.html

    SOVERNET-L is a news-only listserv concerned with indigenous
    sovereigntist struggles around the world.  To subscribe, send
    "subscribe sovernet-l" in the body of an email message to
                   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          For more information on sovernet-l, contact S.I.S.I.S.