And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

* From: Chris Spotted Eagle  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Counterpoint: By whose definition is
Coldwater Springs not sacred?

Louis Berger and Associates, the consulting firm hired by the
Minnesota Department of Transportation in the Hwy. 55
controversy, determined last month that no evidence exists to
validate Native Americans' claims that Coldwater Springs --
which lies in the path of a proposed reroute -- is a sacred site
to us.

This firm must be gifted with the sight to determine what is
sacred and what is not. Did Louis Berger and Associates know
what they were looking for? What are the criteria for sacred
places? What kind of evidence or lack of evidence did they
expect to find? Perhaps the skeletal remains of animals or even
sacrificial virgins? Do they know our sacred beliefs so well that
they dispute our elders and our oral tradition?

Long before the beginning of time as we know it now, the place
in controversy and the area surrounding it were sacred to us.
They still are sacred.

Our time on Earth began when our spirits alighted from the
seven stars of the constellation Orion, and we became the
Seven Council Fires that make up the Dakota, Lakota and
Nakota nation. It was there at the conjunction of the
Mississippi and Minnesota rivers that our time as Dakota
people began and nearly ended. It is from that center that we
spread out to be where we are now. Coldwater Springs and
the military reserve bases that occupy the nearby area are the
dwelling place of Wakan Tanka, the Great Mystery. The god
of water dwells in the sacred spring and travels throughout the
great rivers.

On the bluffs on both sides of the river, we sought visions and
our dead started their journeys back to the stars. On nearby
Pike Island, we Dakota almost met our extinction at the hands
of people who wanted our land. It was on this island between
the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers that we Dakota were
imprisoned in stockades, starving, becoming ill and dying. Pike
Island was the beginning of our holocaust and our exile from
Minnesota.

So whose criteria did Louis Berger and Associates use to
declare that no sacred sites exist there? Don't they see the light
of the stars as our spirits arrive in the sky? Can't they hear the
sound of the prayers as the vision seekers cry for a vision?
Can't they hear the cries of pain, hunger and death as we died
in the stockades on Pike Island?

To us and by our criteria, this place is a sacred site. To
desecrate it would be blasphemy and a transgression against
the Creator. What power in the hands of Louis Berger and
Associates. They must be demigods at least or even full-blown
gods.

-- The Rev. Gary Cavender, Shunghi (Red Fox), Prior
Lake. Bdewakanton Wahpeton Dakota.

Star Tribune - Sunday, May 9, 1999

Chris Spotted Eagle
Voice & Fax 612/377-4212