And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (S.I.S.I.S.) writes:

:-:-:S.I.S.I.S.  Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty:-:-:
May 20, 1999                        No Copyright;  please reproduce

SHUSWAP ELDER AGAIN THREATENED WITH IMPRISONMENT BY BC AUTHORITIES

The 67 year old Shuswap traditionalist Wolverine is again experiencing
harassment and intimidation from parole office officials in BC. Wolverine
was recently paroled from an 8 1/2 year prison sentence for his role in the
1995 defence of unceded, sacred Sundance grounds at Ts'Peten (Gustafsen
Lake) against one of the largest RCMP operations in Canadian history.

Wolverine, aka Jones William Ignace, has been advised by the Kamloops
Parole Office that he may not speak about state crimes committed during the
Gustafsen Lake standoff, nor may he communicate with any other members of
the indigenous traditionalist movement in BC. He has also been forbidden to
attend a recent gathering of the Arrow Lakes people and cultural gatherings
in the Lil'Wat nation. Moreover, Wolverine has been told that all
communications with Splitting the Sky, spokesperson of the FREE WOLVERINE
Campaign, must cease on pain of re-imprisonment. No such gag-order is
included in Wolverine's terms of parole from the National Parole Board; the
initiative appears to emanate from the BC authorities, specifically the
Kamloops Parole Office.

The Kamloops Parole Office previously threatened Wolverine with
re-imprisonment in February of this year, when he accepted a speaking
engagement at a community college in Kamloops. They withdrew that threat
after being flooded with protest  letters from around the world which
condemned the blatant attack on his freedom of speech.

Wolverine's friend and associate Splitting the Sky expressed outrage at the
latest development. "It shows how far the governments will go to stop
discussion or debate of anything connected to Indigenous sovereignty and
[Canada's] attempts to suppress it. The intimidation, gagging and virtual
house arrest of the elder Wolverine, and the disbarment of our counsel of
choice Dr. Bruce Clark demonstrate clearly the governments' clear intent to
muzzle the truth."

An international campaign to obtain a public inquiry into 1995 Gustafsen
standoff and the state crimes and human rights abuses that occurred there,
has thus far met with outright refusals from both the BC and federal
governments, despite a recent UN Human Rights Commission ruling
recommending an inquiry into the killing of Aazhoodena sovereignty activist
Dudley George during the 1995 stand-off at Stoney Point (aka Ipperwash).
Both standoffs occurred virtually simultaneously, both concerned sacred
lands and sovereignty, and both involved the active participation of
collaborationist Indian elites who publicly denounced the standoffs at the
time. These same elements have now inserted themselves into the inquiry
campaigns and are attempting to exploit and steer the resulting political
capital to their own agendas.

Grand Chief Phil Fontaine of the Assembly of First Nations, when confronted
recently by Gustafsen supporters at the Vancouver airport, brushed off
complaints about his lack of action on an AFN resolution committing to
pressure a public inquiry into "all aspects" of both the Gustafsen Lake and
Stoney Point crises. "That's only one of hundreds of things we have to do,"
said Fontaine. "We've got lots of other things to do and I'm not the only
one handling that anyway", said the Grand Chief as he hurried away.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
PLEASE PROTEST IN THE STRONGEST WAY POSSIBLE THE THREATENED
RE-INCARCERATION OF WOLVERINE! DEMAND THAT HIS FREEDOM OF SPEECH, FREEDOM
OF ASSOCIATION AND FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT BE RESPECTED:

Kamloops Parole Area Office
590-175 Second Avenue
Kamloops "BC" (Canada)
Phone (250) 851-4800

Solicitor-General of Canadafor Corrections and Parole matters)
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  or
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Prime Minister Jean Chretien: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BC Premier Glen Clark: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Grand Chief Phil Fontaine: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (letters will be forwarded to Wolverine)

JOIN THE CALL FOR A PUBLIC INQUIRY INTO GUSTAFSEN LAKE NOW!

http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/GustLake/support.html
http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/gustmain.html

Some of those calling for a public inquiry include:

Lil'Wat Estken, Moloqhil Tinamat, Defensoria Maya (Guatemala), Te Ropa
Maori, Canadian Alliance in Solidarity with Native Peoples (CASNP), Green
Group of the European Parliament, The Black Community Collective, Black
Autonomy International, The Afrikan Frontline Network, Anti-Racist Action
(ARA), Settlers in Support of Indigenous Sovereignty (SISIS), NW Leonard
Peltier Support Network, Aboriginal Rights Coalition (ARC), Council of
Canadians (Victoria), Building Bridges to Chiapas, National Green Party of
Canada, Ramsey Clark - former US Attorney General and counsel to Leonard
Peltier, Ts'peten Defence Committee, Free Wolverine Campaign, Incomindios,
For Mother Earth/Kola (Belgium), Assembly of First Nations, League of
Indigenous Sovereign Nations, American Indian Movement (Florida), National
Campus/Community Radio Association (NCRA), Canadian Union of Public
Employees (CUPE), Teaching Support Staff Union (TSSU-SFU), IWW, Canadian
Federation of Students, and many more...

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    S.I.S.I.S.   Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
        P.O. Box 8673, Victoria, "B.C." "Canada" V8X 3S2

        EMAIL : <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        WWW: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/SISmain.html

    SOVERNET-L is a news-only listserv concerned with indigenous
    sovereigntist struggles around the world.  To subscribe, send
    "subscribe sovernet-l" in the body of an email message to
                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          For more information on sovernet-l, contact S.I.S.I.S.